This week, Lawrence County school districts will honor Veterans Day with various programs and activities. Here’s what each district has planned:
- The Ellwood City Area School District will hold an assembly on Thursday at 9 a.m. at Lincoln Junior-Senior High School.
- The Blue Band will play patriotic songs, and veterans will be recognized with speeches.
- The Laurel School District will display American flags across its campus.
- A Patriotic Tribute Concert will take place at 7 p.m. today in the Laurel High School auditorium.
- Band students in grades 6-12 and choir students in grades 5-12 will perform.
- Students from the Lawrence County Career and Technical Center, who won gold medals in the national SkillsUSA competition, will participate in the Lawrence County Veterans Day parade on Saturday at 11 a.m.
- The students will distribute American flags to veterans along the parade route.
- The school’s peer leadership students will add to the Veterans’ Wall of Honor.
- The Mohawk Area School District will host its 25th annual Veterans Day program on Thursday at 9:30 a.m. at the Scottish Rite Cathedral.
- The event is sponsored by the Mohawk Future Business Leaders of America and the Cathedral Foundation.
- The program will include presentations by FBLA members, music by the district band and chorus, a video presentation, and a keynote address by local veteran Jack Seltzer.
- The Neshannock Township School District will hold an assembly on Thursday at 9 a.m. at the HHS auditorium.
- Sponsored by the Neshannock chapter of the National Honor Society and the high school student government, the Neshannock Honor Guard will present and retire the colors.
- The guest speaker will be Jeffrey Sink, a retired Army infantryman with a remarkable military background.
- Various student groups will contribute to the event through lobby decorations, cards, and artwork for veterans.
- The New Castle Area School District will have three programs on Thursday.
- An assembly at 9:30 a.m. at George Washington Intermediate School featuring patriotic songs by fourth-grade students.
- An assembly at 10:30 a.m. at the Harry W. Lockley Early Learning Center.
- A preview of the district’s fall musical, “Little Shop of Horrors,” for veterans at 9:15 a.m. at the Junior-Senior High School.
- The Shenango Area School District will hold a program in each school on Friday.
- Fifth-grade students will have a program at the elementary school, including inspirational quotes, poems, and facts about Veterans Day.
- Senior AP U.S. government and politics students will host an assembly at the senior high, featuring speeches, videos, and a moment of silence.
- Union Memorial Elementary School students will display flags along the school’s sidewalks and walkways, honoring local and family veterans.
- Each community veteran will have a small American flag placed around the flagpole.
- Veterans can drive by the display and receive thank-you cards and treats from the students.
- The Wilmington Area School District will have two assemblies on Friday.
- The first assembly will be for grades seven through 12 at 9:45 a.m., and the second one will be for grades kindergarten through sixth grade at 1:30 p.m.
- U.S. Army veteran Mike Crawford will be the speaker at both assemblies, and there will be slideshows honoring students’ family members who are veterans.